Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Murder by written discourse

Blech. "Written discourse." I think I've written this phrase about 2,000 so far this semester. I love being in IPFW's English program, I really do, but sometimes I find myself writing certain terms or phrases that are just so irritating. I'll stop and go, "Where did that come from?" Like, I swear to everything, I once wrote, "elaborate, yet achievable, insights into the views of written discourse in rhetorical academia." WHAT?
But, again, I really do love the program here. We're going through Great Expectations in Victorian Literature and that's always fun, hearing different interpretations of books that I actually enjoy reading. And Native American Literature is fascinating. I highly recommend Winter in the Blood by James Welch. Rarely do I think about the lives of modern Native Americans or the lingering oppression that is forced upon them.
Anyway, this is a random update after a large gap of not updating this blog. But besides feeling like an occasional English tool, life is pretty good right now. I'd say "great," but I'm afraid that if I use a stronger word that "good," I'll jinx myself. So, I'll just say that I'm good...er, well.
As for teaching, I'm still not feeling like I'm Hilary Swanks's character from Freedom Writers, but I'm definitely getting more of the hang of things. I might even be enjoying it in some ways, imagine that. While there are many students who I'm sure give little to no crap about the class, there are a few who I feel are actually benefitting from something. And I'm not sure if it's necessarily just in writing. I have assignments where students do "freewriting" journals and one students told me how much of a stress-reliever it is, knowing that she can safely write about all of her stresses and worries, and actually have someone read about them. There are just little examples like this that encourage me and make me hope that there's something worthwhile they'll take out of the class.
Hmmm...I'm pretty happy and content right now, despite the mounting schoolwork and worries over teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment