Friday, February 12, 2010

A Day in February

I've been thinking a lot about what makes a life worthwhile. I think I've been struggling with this idea for several years, actually. I know; our worth isn't supposed to depend on our works, but really, wouldn't that make sense? Would someone who is dedicating their life to, say, building schools in poor and neglected neighborhoods have a more worthwhile life than someone who sits all day in their living room, watching "Family Guy"? And, really, there's all kinds of ways that we can do "worthwhile" things, but then I start to wonder, "which is the MOST worthwhile?" Basically, what sets apart my life from the billions of other lives existing around me?
Obviously, there's no real answer. I just never feel like I'm quite doing enough. Maybe my attitude's not in the right place; maybe I do too much and miss out on the reason behind it all; or maybe I just like confusing myself. All seem plausible right now. I really just don't want to be stagnant, working towards some idea of a "worthy" life and finding out that it's all just been without a point. And, really, I like where I am in life; I just feel too rooted and, somehow, inactive. Maybe I've just been in Fort Wayne too long. That could very well be the problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment